Production postmortemThe case of the Unicode Poo

time to read 4 min | 635 words

We got an error report from a customer about migration issue from 2.5 to 3.0. A particular document appear to have been corrupted, and caused issues.

We have an explicit endpoint to expose the database raw bytes to the client, so we can troubleshoot exactly those kind of errors. For fun, this is a compressed database, so the error was hiding beneath two level of indirection, but that is beside the point.

When looking at the raw document’s byte, we saw:

image

Which was… suspicious. It took a while to track down, but the end result was that this error would occur when you have:

  • A large string (over 1KB), and it is the first large string in the document.
  • At the 1023 position of the string (bytewise), you have a multi byte and multiple character value.

In those cases, we wouldn’t be able to read the document.

The underlying reason was an optimization we made in 3.0 to reduce buffer allocations during deserialization of documents. In order to properly handle that, we used an Encoding Decoder directly, without any intermediate buffers. This works great, except in this scenario, and the way JSON.Net calls us.

When JSON.Net find a large string, it will repeatedly read characters from the stream until it reached the end of the stream, and only then it will process it. If the string size is more than the buffer size, it will increase the buffer.

Let us imagine the following string:

ABC

When we serialize it, it looks like this:

var bytes = new byte[] { 65, 66, 67, 0xF0, 0x9F, 0x92, 0xA9 };

And let us say that we want to read that in a buffer of 4 characters. We’ll use it like so:

 int bytesPos = 0;
 int charsPos = 0;
 var chars = new char[4];
 while (bytesPos < bytes.Length) // read whole buffer
 {
    while (charsPos < chars.Length) // process chars in chunks
     {
         int bytesUsed;
         int charsUsed;
         bool completed;
         decoder.Convert(bytes, bytesPos, bytes.Length - bytesPos, chars, charsPos, chars.Length - charsPos, false,
             out bytesUsed, out charsUsed, out completed);
         bytesPos += bytesUsed;
         charsPos += charsUsed;
     }
     Console.WriteLine(new string(chars));
 }

On the first call, the Convert will convert the first three bytes into three characters, and stop. The JSON.Net code will then ask it to fill to the end of the buffer (simulated by the inner loop), but at that point, the Convert method will throw, because it has just one character available in the buffer to write to, but it can’t write that character.

Why is that? Look at the poo string above. How many character does it take?

If you answered four, you are correct visually, and wrong in buffer sense. This string actually takes 5 characters to represent. As I mentioned, in order to hit this error, we have to had a particular set of things align just right (or wrong). Even a single space difference would align things so no multi byte character would span the 1KB boundary.

The solution, by the way, was to drop the optimization, sadly, we’ll revisit this at a later time, probably, but now we’ll have a way to confirm that this scenario is also covered.

More posts in "Production postmortem" series:

  1. (03 Oct 2022) Do you trust this server?
  2. (15 Sep 2022) The missed indexing reference
  3. (05 Aug 2022) The allocating query
  4. (22 Jul 2022) Efficiency all the way to Out of Memory error
  5. (18 Jul 2022) Broken networks and compressed streams
  6. (13 Jul 2022) Your math is wrong, recursion doesn’t work this way
  7. (12 Jul 2022) The data corruption in the node.js stack
  8. (11 Jul 2022) Out of memory on a clear sky
  9. (29 Apr 2022) Deduplicating replication speed
  10. (25 Apr 2022) The network latency and the I/O spikes
  11. (22 Apr 2022) The encrypted database that was too big to replicate
  12. (20 Apr 2022) Misleading security and other production snafus
  13. (03 Jan 2022) An error on the first act will lead to data corruption on the second act…
  14. (13 Dec 2021) The memory leak that only happened on Linux
  15. (17 Sep 2021) The Guinness record for page faults & high CPU
  16. (07 Jan 2021) The file system limitation
  17. (23 Mar 2020) high CPU when there is little work to be done
  18. (21 Feb 2020) The self signed certificate that couldn’t
  19. (31 Jan 2020) The slow slowdown of large systems
  20. (07 Jun 2019) Printer out of paper and the RavenDB hang
  21. (18 Feb 2019) This data corruption bug requires 3 simultaneous race conditions
  22. (25 Dec 2018) Handled errors and the curse of recursive error handling
  23. (23 Nov 2018) The ARM is killing me
  24. (22 Feb 2018) The unavailable Linux server
  25. (06 Dec 2017) data corruption, a view from INSIDE the sausage
  26. (01 Dec 2017) The random high CPU
  27. (07 Aug 2017) 30% boost with a single line change
  28. (04 Aug 2017) The case of 99.99% percentile
  29. (02 Aug 2017) The lightly loaded trashing server
  30. (23 Aug 2016) The insidious cost of managed memory
  31. (05 Feb 2016) A null reference in our abstraction
  32. (27 Jan 2016) The Razor Suicide
  33. (13 Nov 2015) The case of the “it is slow on that machine (only)”
  34. (21 Oct 2015) The case of the slow index rebuild
  35. (22 Sep 2015) The case of the Unicode Poo
  36. (03 Sep 2015) The industry at large
  37. (01 Sep 2015) The case of the lying configuration file
  38. (31 Aug 2015) The case of the memory eater and high load
  39. (14 Aug 2015) The case of the man in the middle
  40. (05 Aug 2015) Reading the errors
  41. (29 Jul 2015) The evil licensing code
  42. (23 Jul 2015) The case of the native memory leak
  43. (16 Jul 2015) The case of the intransigent new database
  44. (13 Jul 2015) The case of the hung over server
  45. (09 Jul 2015) The case of the infected cluster