Production postmortemDo you trust this server?
A customer called us with a problem. They set up a production cluster successfully, they could manually verify that everything is working, except that it would fail when they try to connect to it via the client API.
The error in question looked something like this:
CertificateNameMismatchException: You are trying to contact host rvn-db-72 but the hostname must match one of the CN or SAN properties of the server certificate: CN=rvn-db-72, OU=UAT, OU=Computers, OU=Operations, OU=Jam, DC=example, DC=com, DNS Name=rvn-db-72.jam.example.com
That is… a really strange error. Because they were accessing the server using: rvn-db-72.jam.example.com, and that was the configured certificate for it. But for some reason the RavenDB client was trying to connect directly to rvn-db-72. It was able to connect to it, but failed on the hostname validation because the certificates didn’t match.
Initially, we suspected that there is some sort of a MITM or some network appliance that got in the way, but we finally figured out that we had the following sequence of events, shown in the image below. The RavenDB client was properly configured, but when it asked the server where the database is, the server would give the wrong URL, leading to this error.
This deserves some explanation. When we initialize the RavenDB client, one of the first things that the client does is query the cluster for the URLs where it can find the database it needs to work with. This is because the distribution of databases in a cluster doesn’t have to match the nodes in the cluster.
Consider this setup:
In this case, we have three nodes in the cluster, but the “Orders DB” is located only on two of them. If we query the rvn-db-72 database for the topology of “Orders DB”, we’ll get nodes rvn-db-73 and rvn-db-74. Here is what this will look like:
Now that we understand what is going on, what is the root cause of the problem?
A misconfigured server, basically. The PublicServerUrl for the server in question was left as the hostname, instead of the full domain name.
This configuration meant that the server would give the wrong URL to the client, which would then fail.
This is something that only the client API is doing, so the Studio behaved just fine, which made it harder to figure out what exactly is going on there. The actual fix is trivial, naturally, but figuring it out took too long. We’ll be adding an alert to detect and resolve misconfigurations like that in the future.
More posts in "Production postmortem" series:
- (27 Jan 2023) The server ate all my memory
- (23 Jan 2023) The big server that couldn’t handle the load
- (16 Jan 2023) The heisenbug server
- (03 Oct 2022) Do you trust this server?
- (15 Sep 2022) The missed indexing reference
- (05 Aug 2022) The allocating query
- (22 Jul 2022) Efficiency all the way to Out of Memory error
- (18 Jul 2022) Broken networks and compressed streams
- (13 Jul 2022) Your math is wrong, recursion doesn’t work this way
- (12 Jul 2022) The data corruption in the node.js stack
- (11 Jul 2022) Out of memory on a clear sky
- (29 Apr 2022) Deduplicating replication speed
- (25 Apr 2022) The network latency and the I/O spikes
- (22 Apr 2022) The encrypted database that was too big to replicate
- (20 Apr 2022) Misleading security and other production snafus
- (03 Jan 2022) An error on the first act will lead to data corruption on the second act…
- (13 Dec 2021) The memory leak that only happened on Linux
- (17 Sep 2021) The Guinness record for page faults & high CPU
- (07 Jan 2021) The file system limitation
- (23 Mar 2020) high CPU when there is little work to be done
- (21 Feb 2020) The self signed certificate that couldn’t
- (31 Jan 2020) The slow slowdown of large systems
- (07 Jun 2019) Printer out of paper and the RavenDB hang
- (18 Feb 2019) This data corruption bug requires 3 simultaneous race conditions
- (25 Dec 2018) Handled errors and the curse of recursive error handling
- (23 Nov 2018) The ARM is killing me
- (22 Feb 2018) The unavailable Linux server
- (06 Dec 2017) data corruption, a view from INSIDE the sausage
- (01 Dec 2017) The random high CPU
- (07 Aug 2017) 30% boost with a single line change
- (04 Aug 2017) The case of 99.99% percentile
- (02 Aug 2017) The lightly loaded trashing server
- (23 Aug 2016) The insidious cost of managed memory
- (05 Feb 2016) A null reference in our abstraction
- (27 Jan 2016) The Razor Suicide
- (13 Nov 2015) The case of the “it is slow on that machine (only)”
- (21 Oct 2015) The case of the slow index rebuild
- (22 Sep 2015) The case of the Unicode Poo
- (03 Sep 2015) The industry at large
- (01 Sep 2015) The case of the lying configuration file
- (31 Aug 2015) The case of the memory eater and high load
- (14 Aug 2015) The case of the man in the middle
- (05 Aug 2015) Reading the errors
- (29 Jul 2015) The evil licensing code
- (23 Jul 2015) The case of the native memory leak
- (16 Jul 2015) The case of the intransigent new database
- (13 Jul 2015) The case of the hung over server
- (09 Jul 2015) The case of the infected cluster
Had similar issues when I wrote the setup action for Github Actions. In windows we use ACI and on Linux docker compose. The the public URL is set to host.docker.internal which resolves to the host gateway. With that docker networking works properly and communication can be established. I then need to write the hosts file https://github.com/Particular/setup-ravendb-action/blob/main/setup.ps1#L22 on the runner because the topology also announces itself to the outside world with host.docker.internal which of course cannot be resolved on the host without the etc hosts entry (docker on Windows adds that automatically while docker Linux, rancher... Don't)
Forgot to mention that the windows version running on ACI does set the public server url to the dns name of the container