His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, Book 1)
Throne of Jade (Temeraire, Book 2)
Black Powder War (Temeraire, Book 3)
As a testement to the quality of these book, I would like to mentioned that I read all three between firday 18:00 and sunday 05:30. I truely enjoy fantasy / science fiction / alternative history books, and this trilogy hits all the right spots.
The story takes place in the beginning of the 19th century, and tells of a world different than ours only by the existance of dragons. No magic, no mambo jumbo, just dragons. Of course, you can't say "just" dragons, and Naomi Novik does an excellent job in creating more than a story, but creating a full, living, breathing world.
I read quite a bit about that time in history (the Napolean Wars are the background for the books, by the way), and the way they are portraited in the books are very close to what really happened, and likely to stick with me more than the real history.
The dragons are fitted into the story with marvelous care, seamlessly woven into the fabric of the world. I liked the first book the most, since it had the most action, but the other two are very good as well.
The only half way annoying thing about the books is that the third one ends with a lot more stuff that I want to know about this world. How would the war end? Will the heroes be able to escape the clutches of the beauricrats, etc...
I surely hope that there is going to be more books in this world.
More posts in "Book Review" series:
- (05 Nov 2009) The Wheel of Time – The Gathering Storm
- (11 Aug 2009) Yellow Eyes
- (24 Jul 2009) Watch on the Rhine
- (23 Jul 2009) By Heresies Distressed
- (23 Jul 2008) By Schism Rent Asunder
- (04 Oct 2007) Making Money
- (30 Sep 2007) Empire of Ivory
- (08 Sep 2007) Empire Of Man
- (01 Sep 2007) March Upcountry
- (21 Feb 2007) Programming WCF Services
- (09 Feb 2007) Windows Developer Power Tools
- (25 Sep 2006) Old Man's War
- (03 Sep 2006) His Majesty's Dragon / Throne of Jade / Black Powder War
- (30 Aug 2006) Applying Domain-Driven Design and Patterns
- (18 Aug 2006) Dzur
- (15 Aug 2006) When Darkness Falls
- (22 Apr 2006) Data Binding with Windows Forms 2.0
- (17 Oct 2005) Knife Of Dreams
- (28 Aug 2005) Working Effectively With Legacy Code
- (25 Jul 2005) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- (14 Jul 2005) Sword of Ice
- (14 Jul 2005) Vows & Honor Trilogy
- (14 Jul 2005) The Mage Storms Trilogy
- (14 Jul 2005) Winds of Change
- (10 Jul 2005) Winds of Change
- (09 Jul 2005) Winds Of Fate
- (08 Jul 2005) Burning Water
- (08 Jul 2005) By The Sword
- (06 Jun 2005) Developer To Designer
- (05 Jun 2005) The Last Herald Mage
- (01 Jun 2005) Arrow's Fall
- (01 Jun 2005) Arrow's Flight
- (27 Apr 2005) Domain Driven Desing
- (01 Apr 2005) Exile's Valor
- (18 Jan 2005) Alta
- (16 Jan 2005) Coding Slave
- (13 Jan 2005) Hibernate In Action
- (25 Oct 2004) In Search of Stupidity