It starts with March Upcountry, which gets interesting in the first few minutes, rather than the usual longer opening of most books, proceed with March to the Sea and then to March to the Stars and finally to We Few, where the books (but not the story) ends.
You may have noticed that I didn't have much activity in the last week, that is because I spent most to all of my free time listening to those books. Excellent is too weak a word to describe them. Suffice to say that a quick calculations shows that out of 168 hours in a week, I spend over 70 hours listening to those books (and walking the dog till she dropped :- ).
Page turner is not quite the word to use for an audio book, but I can't think of an appropriate term to use for them.
The story is good, very believable, highly consistent, great characters, a lot of depth, great pace, a lot of action, and a sense of a full world behind the story. It is also a story that has managed to make me forget the real world for more than a few times.
I have just finished listening to We Few, and the only think that I can think right now is how to get the next book in the series, which apparently doesn't exists (extremely disturbing, since I really want to know what comes next).
I am usually on the side of fantasy when it comes to reading, but this has certainly convinced me to go back to hard core SF. So if you like SF, and if you have better self control than I am, I can strongly recommend these books.
Update: Apparently the first two books can be gotten (legally) freely from the net. Part of Baen's Free Library:
More posts in "Book Review" series:
- (05 Nov 2009) The Wheel of Time – The Gathering Storm
- (11 Aug 2009) Yellow Eyes
- (24 Jul 2009) Watch on the Rhine
- (23 Jul 2009) By Heresies Distressed
- (23 Jul 2008) By Schism Rent Asunder
- (04 Oct 2007) Making Money
- (30 Sep 2007) Empire of Ivory
- (08 Sep 2007) Empire Of Man
- (01 Sep 2007) March Upcountry
- (21 Feb 2007) Programming WCF Services
- (09 Feb 2007) Windows Developer Power Tools
- (25 Sep 2006) Old Man's War
- (03 Sep 2006) His Majesty's Dragon / Throne of Jade / Black Powder War
- (30 Aug 2006) Applying Domain-Driven Design and Patterns
- (18 Aug 2006) Dzur
- (15 Aug 2006) When Darkness Falls
- (22 Apr 2006) Data Binding with Windows Forms 2.0
- (17 Oct 2005) Knife Of Dreams
- (28 Aug 2005) Working Effectively With Legacy Code
- (25 Jul 2005) Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
- (14 Jul 2005) Sword of Ice
- (14 Jul 2005) Vows & Honor Trilogy
- (14 Jul 2005) The Mage Storms Trilogy
- (14 Jul 2005) Winds of Change
- (10 Jul 2005) Winds of Change
- (09 Jul 2005) Winds Of Fate
- (08 Jul 2005) Burning Water
- (08 Jul 2005) By The Sword
- (06 Jun 2005) Developer To Designer
- (05 Jun 2005) The Last Herald Mage
- (01 Jun 2005) Arrow's Fall
- (01 Jun 2005) Arrow's Flight
- (27 Apr 2005) Domain Driven Desing
- (01 Apr 2005) Exile's Valor
- (18 Jan 2005) Alta
- (16 Jan 2005) Coding Slave
- (13 Jan 2005) Hibernate In Action
- (25 Oct 2004) In Search of Stupidity