So we got an emergency support call during the Passover holiday, and as you can imagine, it was a strange one. Our investigation of the error basically boiled down (cutting down a lot of effort in between): “This can’t be happening.”
I hate this kind of answer, because it usually means that we are missing something. Usually that can be a strange error code, some race condition or just something strange about the environment.
While we were working the problem, the customer came back with, “Oh, we found the issue. A memory unit went rogue, and the firmware wasn’t able to catch it.” When they updated the firmware, it apparently caught it immediately.
So I guess we can close this support incident.