This post is a reply for this post, you probably want to read that one first.
Basically, the problem is pretty simple. It is the chicken & the egg problem. There is a set of problems where it doesn’t matter. Rhino Mocks is a good example where it doesn’t really matter how many users there are for the framework. But there are projects where it really does matters.
A package management tool is almost the definition of the chicken & egg problem. Having a tool coming from Microsoft pretty much solve this, because you get a fried chicken pre-prepared.
If you look at other projects, you can see that the result has been interesting.
- Unity / MEF didn’t have a big impact on the OSS containers.
- ASP.Net MVC pretty much killed a lot of the interest in MonoRail.
- Entity Framework had no impact on NHibernate.
In NHibernate’s case, it is mostly because it already moved beyond the chicken & egg problem, I think. In MonoRail’s case, it was that there wasn’t enough outside difference, and most people bet on the MS solution. For Unity / MEF, there wasn’t any push to use something else, because you really didn’t depended on that.
In short, it depends :-)
There are some projects that really need critical mass to succeed. And for those projects, having Microsoft get behind them and push is going to make all the difference in the world.
And no, I don’t really see anything wrong with that.
More posts in "re" series:
- (19 Aug 2019) The Order of the JSON, AKA–irresponsible assumptions and blind spots
- (10 Oct 2017) Entity Framework Core performance tuning–Part III
- (09 Oct 2017) Different I/O Access Methods for Linux
- (06 Oct 2017) Entity Framework Core performance tuning–Part II
- (04 Oct 2017) Entity Framework Core performance tuning–part I
- (26 Apr 2017) Writing a Time Series Database from Scratch
- (28 Jul 2016) Why Uber Engineering Switched from Postgres to MySQL
- (15 Jun 2016) Why you can't be a good .NET developer
- (12 Nov 2013) Why You Should Never Use MongoDB
- (21 Aug 2013) How memory mapped files, filesystems and cloud storage works
- (15 Apr 2012) Kiip’s MongoDB’s experience
- (18 Oct 2010) Diverse.NET
- (10 Apr 2010) NoSQL, meh
- (30 Sep 2009) Are you smart enough to do without TDD
- (17 Aug 2008) MVC Storefront Part 19
- (24 Mar 2008) How to create fully encapsulated Domain Models
- (21 Feb 2008) Versioning Issues With Abstract Base Classes and Interfaces
- (18 Aug 2007) Saving to Blob
- (27 Jul 2007) SSIS - 15 Faults Rebuttal
- (29 May 2007) The OR/M Smackdown
- (06 Mar 2007) IoC and Average Programmers
- (19 Sep 2005) DLinq Mapping