How to fix a bug

time to read 1 min | 170 words

Yesterday I added a bug to Rhino Service Bus. It was a nasty one, and a slippery one. It relates to threading nastiness with MSMQ, and the details aren’t really interesting.

What is interesting is how I fixed it. You can see the commit log here:


At some point, it became quite clear that trying to fix the bug isn’t going to work. I reset the repository back to before I introduced that bug (gotta love source control!) and started reintroducing my change in a very controlled manner.

I am back with the same functionality that I had before I reset the code base, and with no bug. Total time to do this was about 40 minutes or so. I spent quite a bit longer than that just trying to fix up that.

Lesson learned, remember to cut your losses early :-)