RavenDB 2.5: What is new here?
Well, this is still just a high level list only, but there is a lot of stuff there. In many cases, I posted full blog entries about each new feature, but I’ll post a few words about those that I didn’t.
- Dynamic Reporting
- Result Transformers
- Scripted Index Results
- Create new document from existing ones using the Patch API
- Spatial Enhancements
- Unbounded Streams support
- Excel integration CSV endpoint
- MSI Installer
- Use Northwind for sample data
- Index directly to memory
- Query optimizer can expand indexes
- Idle indexes & index priorities
- Allow to lock indexes
- Better pre fetching algorithms for reducing IO times
- SQL Replication is more robust, and performs significantly faster
- DTC performance improvement
- Better adherence to the DTC protocol
- Will refresh the index writer every now and then, avoiding high memory costs for active indexes
- An error in bulk insert would report immediately, instead of waiting for the process to complete
- Removed db write lock and enabled completely concurrent writes
- Consolidated Documents & Collections screen
- Easier settings management
- Streamlined the UI
- Validate replication information from the studio
- Can now look at a sample document while editing an index
Operations - As usual, we have a few goodies for the ops people. Some of them aren’t really interesting to devs, but they are part of creating production quality software. We now allow Backup Operators (and not just admins) to initiate backups, and if you are restoring a db from another machine with different settings, RavenDB will automatically set things up so you don’t have to manually do anything to get things working. We also added a bunch more of endpoints for debug & analysis and added some more information to our existing endpoints.
Wow, impressive list especially when you put it all together.
Is there guidance on upgrading from 2.0? Specifically can you slide it in on top or should you deploy in paralel and then smuggle in your databases?
Wyatt, You should be able to just turn off the 2.0 server, upgrade the binaries and turn on the 2.5 server.
Thanks, sounds like our current deployment model will work then.
The question that is probably asked the most, what's the ETA on a stable build for 2.5? Also upgrading the binaries, what does that involve, just copy pasting on top of what is already there?
Afif, We are in late RC mode for the build, hopefully we will go stable in the next week or so
Wow, impressive new features list.
Where can I find the MSI Installer? I've downloaded 2666 but I don't see it.
It is available here: hibernatingrhinos.com/builds Not yet on the ravendb.net site.