WCF, Federated Security and Custom Authentication Token, oh my!
So today I spiked some code to see how hard it was to get federated security to work using WCF. I have never had to do something like that before, but I am familiar with the concepts, at least.
Armed with the WCF federation sample, I set out to build my own.
I cannot believe how complex this was. I stopped after I realized that my app.config file passed 200 lines, solely for WCF configuration, I got a lot of unhelpful exceptions from WCF and generally felt that I am wasting my time.
Then I turned to building a custom authentication token, that would have served my need well enough. I started to follow the steps in the sample, but by the fifth class that I had to implement, I had enough. I started counting the number of classes that are required to build a custom authentication token. 11(!) classes!
Sorry, at this point, I back away slowly. This is way too complex for what I need. I solved the problem using a message header, which was a sweet & simple solution to the problem.
I consider myself fairly adept at handling complexity, but oh my god, just trying to touch this piece was scary on many levels.