I am using db transaction isolation levels for a reason here, they make it easier to reason about what is going on.
In short, RavenDB currently supports two storage engine options, Esent and Munin. Esent is what we usually use for production, and Munin is usually used for testing. We wrote Munin as a transactional, fully managed, storage engine a while ago. And it has mostly served us well, but Esent is what we usually aim for. That is the production use case.
We recently made a few changes that resulted in test failures on Munin, only in one run out of two dozens or so, but always worked with Esent.
Naturally, because of the random nature of the problem, I suspected the issue being a race condition in Munin. That happened in the past ,and obviously they are very hard to root out completely. But after finally isolating everything down to a simple test case (writing to two “tables” with associated information), I finally figured it out.
Munin is working just fine, it hasn’t got a spec of a problem. It is just that, when we built it, I built it to support Read Commited Isolation Level. While Esent is providing Snapshot isolation level. The code assumes snapshot isolation level at some pretty level. Obviously, this sort of thing shows up as a race condition, and it is extremely hard to debug, as anyone who ever dealt with those issues in RDBMS can testify.
So my task now is not to fix a bug in Munin, but to actually implement snapshot isolation. As it turned out, actually moving Munin from read committed isolation to snapshot isolation was a lot easier than finding the problem.
I am torn between being pleased that I found the issue, happy that Munin doesn’t have a bug and pissed that it took me that long.