JS execution performance and a whole lot of effort…
I spoke at length about our adventures with JS engine, but I didn’t talk about the actual numbers, because I wanted them to be final.
Here are the results:
Jint - Origin
Jint - Optimized
I intentionally don’t provide context for those numbers, it doesn’t actually matter.
Put means that we just have a single call to Put in a patch script, Set means that we set a value in the patch, Push add an item to an array. Query test a very simple projection.
You can discard the query value for the original Jint. This was a very trivial implementation that always created a new engine (and paid full cost for it) while we were checking the feature itself.
What is interesting about this is comparing the values to 3.5, we are so much better. Another is that after we moved back to Jint, we run another set of tests, and a lot of the optimizations were directly in our code, primarily in how we send to and receive the data from the JS engine.
And this is without any of the optimizations that we could still write. Identifying common patterns and lifting them would be the obvious answer, and we keep that for later, once we have a few more common scenarios from users to explore.